Zion’s Confirmation Ministry
Zion wants to have its youth growing in their baptismal faith. God’s love is expressed clearly and publicly in God’s adoption ceremony of baptism. At that time the newly baptized are given a faith chest in which they can keep milestones of their faith journey. We like them to keep Bible story books, Bibles, first communion certificates, their baptismal candle, Sunday School papers and drawings, and other mementos of their faith growth. All the experiences related to these items help them in their faith journey.
After their seventh grade year we engage young Christians in a more intense confirmation ministry. This ministry includes:
1. Going to confirmation camp for a week in the summer after seventh grade.
2. Going to four out of five four week classes in Eighth Grade, and to three out of five similar classes in Ninth grade while studying Luther’s Catechism about the Ten Commandments, the Apostles’ Creed, the Lord’s Prayer, Baptism and Communion plus an elective.
3. Regularly attending Sunday School and worship in grades 8, 9 and 10 and doing a total of 40 services responses during that time as well as serving as acolytes and coffee servers.
4. Attending intergenerational events with parents about the faith and conference youth events in seventh, eighth and ninth grades, and being with their parents in a month long Sunday morning class in their tenth and eleventh grade years.
5. Conversing with mentors during eighth and ninth grades during the season of Lent.
6. Writing about or meeting with adult Christian leaders to discuss their belief at least four times during their tenth grade year and the fall of their eleventh grade.
7. Celebrating with a confirmation banquet in the eleventh grade year culminating in a confirmation service on the second Sunday of October in their eleventh grade year.